Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday afternoon bowling

Today I took my kids bowling. Yeah, that was kinda random. Wednesday afternoon bowling. We picked Ek up from school and met up there with Ek's friend Sophia and her little sister and mother. (Side note, at Moe's afterwards, H went up to Sophia's mom and said, "Can I sit with Sadie?" in his sweet shy voice, oh that just is too much) We had a great time, the kids laughed and it was just fun to be with them.
I listened to a sermon recommended by Kim last week that was talking about the difference between being childish and childlike. Childish, in my week later summary, is selfish and whiny. Childlike is trusting and dependent. Our goal is to be like the children, like Ek was on our travels, peaceful in the care of her father, in regards to our Heavenly Father. In the sermon though he talks about pursuing relationships with his kids, taking them out for late night donuts and searching for bugs with flashlights. That was extra encouragement to go bowling on Wednesday. I really want my kids to know I love to be with them, I love to play with them, watch them and hear them. Then hopefully they will listen to me too. Now I know I don't need to do big grand things with them to spend time with them, I just wanted to today. So we bowled.
I just finished a good long study of Esther. It was such a great call to seek God where He has you to live with boldness there, today. Now its the day after and that is always a bit of "now what God?" And I think the answer is the gospels with these thoughts: If Jesus said, "Follow me" where does that mean he went, you know- so I can go too. And If Jesus didn't ask us to do anything he didn't do, what did he do?- you know so I can do it too. By his power. To my neighbors which include a great husband, 3 really sweet children, an amazing family and a whole host of friends and a bunch of strangers. I think it has a lot to do with spending time with the right motive. Which is why I bowled today, just to spend time and love well, encourage, cheer, watch, laugh, high five.
So before I go read, a few more notes on bowling... because the camera was a home, along with my socks, ewww, I stopped off to Susanne's to borrow some. giggle. Bowling was a hit, or a ball, puns intended. Ek did great, with bumpers of course, but she and Sophia had just as much fun giggling, tap dancing, running around, doing cheers from cheer camp, pretending their pretzels were people and on and on in between turns. H loved bowling, he was a bit almost nervous to be with all girls, we usually have a boy around for him, he asked several times for Jack and Ben to come, and they couldn't come but he bowled very well, loved watching the pins fall (we had to remind the girls to look back to see theirs fall), and toward the end he bowled a lot of my balls as well. His daddy would have been proud. How did I do? very well actually, oh wait, we did have bumpers... never mind. L didn't seem to feel all that well, she kept sneezing and massive amount of snock (thank you Ek) would go everywhere, sorry- maybe too graphic. Then we were on to Moe's and home for small group. Ek and H are busy talking in H's room, maybe they will be asleep here pretty soon. I know I'll be.

No comments: