Saturday, March 14, 2009

Brave and not brave

Tonight we went out to some friends' farm for a benefit dinner for a girl who is going to Africa for a year as a missionary. We know her from the coffee shop and she has visited our church. On the way there we heard the expected question, "Do they have a dog or a cat?" Ek said "if they have a dog or a cat I will be brave." H said, "if they have a cat I will be brave, if they have a dog, I will not be brave." We got a kick out of that. They had neither, Ek asked their son. :)
When we got there we saw several friends cars, Corbin and the twins to name a few. They had a big jumpy thing blown up and Ek was 2 steps away when the boys ran up, "Hi Ek!!" and took off running, she didn't even flinch as she ran after them as fast as she could. I would have never, I mean never run after boys like that immediately upon entering a party, I thought she was a brave and fun! girl.
H got right in the jumpy thing and jumped and jumped. One of L's little friends, the twins younger brother was jumping and it was a bit rough for him. I was thinking how nice it was that L didn't want to get it, but it didn't last long. Then I decided to let her climb in herself hoping that would take her longer. She cried and cried until I put her in. She held her own quite well but I was glad when she was over it.
Later Corbin's daddy wanted to hold L. She let him but was so funny sitting in his arms. She didn't move a muscle and kept a very solemn face. All that moved were her little eyes keeping up with all of us. Tracy got a kick out of her and I was so glad L let him hold her a bit.
Ek and H were both very curious about a tree house. It had a rope swing and a zip line and a bamboo pole to slide down, neither could work up the courage to try it, that didn't bother me a bit. Ek told me when we got home she was too scared, I told her that was fine, she could try it when she wanted to.
J was very brave to bid on 2 silent auction items! And won both. I am on my way very soon to a facial and massage, ya-hoo! and he got some gift card to several eating places around town. All the money went to Melissa's fund.
What a great evening. We got to support a missionary, visit with friends and enjoy the kids enjoying the farm.

No comments: