Saturday, November 29, 2008

The other side of our Thanksgiving weekend

Friday morning we got on the road a bit quicker, maybe because we had a lot farther to go. We stopped in Athens for lunch at 5 Star Day, of course and the headed up to the lake. We did really well in the car, watched movies, read books (the kids and I read the Quiltmaker's Gift and I read Bringing up Boys.) Ben and Milly beat us by about 30 minutes. We made a quick turn around back into the car and headed off in search of a 'hike' and a waterfall. Also known as going on an 'adventure.' It was really fun! We ended up going up after 2 waterfalls. The first one there was another family around to take our picture. It was pretty squishy around the waterfall, H wanted to get in the water! They piddled around, continually moving around and wanting to get to different parts. The boys also really liked chunking rocks in the water. The kids ran all the way back down the path. When the got to the bottom Ek immediately plopped down to play in the dirt. We got back in the car and headed to the next one. This one was a bit harder to find but so worth it. It was very hidden in the trees, had a bigger fall, well not really bigger like taller but more water falling over. The rocks were great for climbing too. L rode in a backpack on the first one and got frustrated after being there a while. I don't think it was uncomfortable, I think it was just she wanted to play. She had much for fun at the second. Oddly at the second one, someone had stacked rocks to make a grill. Who? What? On the way back I was helping Ek and we ran all the way back down again. The she plopped down again to play in the dirt. We headed back to the lake to fix supper. Our adventure was really fun. I think the kids had a great a time. Then a bit of drama began. We planned to spend the weekend at the lake but after we gave all the kids baths, the water didn't turn on. Dad said he was worried we might run out of gas for the furnace or wood for the fire but never thought we'd fun out of water. How strange. Thankfully we had the heat and electricity. I didn't think to be thankful for these yesterday but today I am. We packed up Saturday morning and came to Athens. The downfall is Ben and family couldn't come. The rest of the weekend we mostly played around the house... countless games of go fish with Ek, various games of ball with H, countless games of kitchen, watched L sit in her favorite chair, and just spent good ole time together. Ek, mom and I did make a pretty big shopping trip to Target and Barnes and Noble to get some more Christmas shopping done, I can't wait to get in there are wrap them. And I got a haircut. While on our way home today, Monday, Ek said, "I'm sure glad Mrs. Spivey game me the day off from school today, I sure needed it after yesterday and the day before and the day before that and the day before that." I guess that says it all. I am truely so thankful for our Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments: