Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Short Term Memory

I started several months ago swimming at the fitness center once a week on Tuesday mornings. Several weeks into this new thing in my life I was walking through the pool area to get to the locker rooms and the light to the hallway was off. I flipped the switch beside the door and the lights went out. uh-oh. Even worse, when I flipped them back on, they didn't. An old man in the pool exclaimed in a gruff voice, "You gotta be kidding me." He was not pleased. As I was saying over and over "I'm so sorry!" I ran to get Jay, the personal trainer working. I told Jay and he said, "oh, noooo." Gracious. The lights take like 15 minutes to turn back on. I went to the locker room and looked for a window to crawl out, there wasn't one. So I got my swim in... in the dark.

This morning I walked through to find the hallway dark again. I didn't touch a thing. I changed and got into the pool to swim. 10 minutes later a man in his 40s got out of the pool and yep, flipped the switch. Dark. I didn't say a word. He said he was sorry and quickly exited to the locker room. Within several minutes 2 old men came in. One was explaining to the other how the lights come back on like he knew well. They changed clothes and walked past to get in the pool. They kindly said "good morning" and one asked what I was doing in the dark. As they were walking to get their kick boards one said to the other while laughing, "I was in here one morning when some young girl did the same thing." Ahhh, he didn't remember it was me. I guess maybe it was because it was dark. Ha ha ha. I think I'll make signs for the switches today to put up next week: Do not touch these switches, trust me, I learned the hard way.

No comments: