Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fast revelations

Praise God, J and I finished our Daniel Fast. It is true as my friend Kari said, nothing quite reveals weakness like a fast. Fasts reveal so much and I am so thankful for the work God did in my heart during this time. 2 things I will mention here. One is He did a work in my over longing. This year the fast has been harder. I wasn't quite as happy eating my vegetables as I did last year. Last year several things that I loved and could eat everyday during a previous fast, I didn't have a taste for. So it was harder to find things I wanted to eat. And I longed for foods that we were fasting from more than last year. I was cutting chicken for chicken noodle soup last week for a friend and that chicken looked so good to me. Oh, chicken! And I just felt the Lord speaking over my heart, I long for you to long for me when you haven't feasted on my word just like you have longed for these foods. Wow, thank you Lord! What an amazing- worth it time. And tying right into that is the second thing the verse when Jesus spoke "Man cannot live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of the Father." Since the fast has ended I have eaten some yummies that I was really looking forward to- it began with a cheeseburger, I've had goldfish and my favorite-- a chocolate chip cookie. Its wonderful to have bread again and chicken on my salad at lunch today and even a few bites of cheese. But I will say, none of those satisfy like hearing a word from the Father. His words are fresh and new and bring life and revival and hope and assurance and love. I pray these words would continue deep into my heart and that this time would count for great things.

No comments: