Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Learning through tears

Several years ago, a friend in TX was talking about a recent dinner when his daughter would not obey in taking one bite of something that he really felt she should take a bite of. One bite was all he asked. He said they sat for about 2 hours. He finally prayed in his heart, "God if this about me and my stubborn heart, I hear ya, can we please be done sitting here?" Immediately, she took a bite. I have thought about that several times and prayed that prayer several times. L loves a bath. She usually climbs in herself and we have to drag her out. Then onto the lotion that she will put on until her skin will hold no more. Last night she cried from the minute I picked her up to put her in until I got her PJ's on. I looked at J at one point, trying really hard to stay calm and said, 'why is she doing this? I'm just trying to take care of her!' I reminded her of that throughout and told her I loved her and was being kind to her. Then I looked at J and asked him if her thought this is how God feels about us sometimes-- I am just trying to clean you up a bit, get you ready for a good rest. When we were done, I took her in my arms and told her I loved her, she snuggled in to my arms and I knew she loved me too. We have a had a bit of a trial lately with Ek's teacher at school, it has been hard to understand the whys, but with all my heart, I do not want to act as L did last night. I want to live a life of trust in the God of Love and know that all is well where He is, let the joy of the Lord be my strength and peace. I long to trust him more at his word.

No comments: