Thursday, July 30, 2009

Better Way

I have had a renewed appreciation of the working together of the body of Christ over the last week or so. And then interestingly I listened to a sermon on the very topic. First though, right now we are at COS in Hilton Head. Today we went to the beach for a bit, the kids and me, J was still in a meeting. We went, in clothes, with just the purpose of playing in the sand, which the love to do. Ek was busy filling a huge bucket full of sand to make a sand castle. huge. I was piddling around with L making turtles. H was busy digging holes. I looked over and Ek was patting down the sand in her bucket, it was almost full. She started to tip it, but I knew if she did with several more inches to fill it would not work, so we all joined in to help her finish, I tipped it over and tapped on the bottom, she lifted the bucket and voila! a castle. She was quite pleased. And moved onto a smaller bucket to fill to add to top. L really wanted to crush it, we managed to hold her off. Here is my point, this life seems to work a lot better when we take what is important to one, make it important to us and rally around the one to get it done. To think beyond what is just important to me, but makes others’ important things important to me. I didn’t much care about making a castle. but Ek did. It was important to her, it was what she wanted to do. So we helped her accomplish her goal. And we all shared in her joy of seeing it done. I have been blessed to see this in my life here lately too and it has made my life better, now some we can take for granted, like birthday parties. Now who wouldn’t want to go to a birthday party? me, if it is in the middle of my day, and I’m tired. but for someone who I love, someone who is special to me, someone who is special to my kids, I will make it important to me and go with joy. I was able to cook dinner for friends coming back into town, and she was able to help me get packed for our trip. We are having dinner with friends tonight who are moving to Peru to serve God, they are helping us take care of our kids so J and I can spend some time with each other doing a tri Saturday. There are tiny examples, like a birthday party, and huge examples like J and I wanting to see a Backyard Bible Club in Dublin, all of the sudden, we had probably 30 people getting it together! A friend from Bible study wanted to see a marriage retreat in Dublin, so now 20 of us are helping her see it happen. I was listening to a sermon about ‘Rewards’ and the pastor spoke that one of the rewards of following Christ is living in the fellowship of the body and I completely agree. Matt Chandler “We are not just saved from [a sinful life worthy of hell], but saved to a covenant community that is to exalt Christ by lowering ourselves and lifting those around us.” O Lord help us, we have no chance of seeing others as important if you don’t give us the love.

No comments: