Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I remember those cakes too.

So H and I are riding home from school today and we were just talking. I told him he that we moved to GA the day after he turned one. His little faced lit up in wonder. Then he said "mommy, remember when I was 3 and I had all those basketball cakes?" What in the world, I thought. I literally turned and looked at him and said, 'what did you say?' He said, "you know mom, remember all those basketball cakes when I turned 3?" oh my. Actually H was turning 2. It was a little over 2 weeks before L was being born and the Ranslebens arrived the day of his party. His very large, very hot party. Kim arrived to an undecorated football and a big bowl of brown icing. And like a hundred (time has made the number grow) of cupcakes that I wanted to be baseballs, soccer balls and basketballs. So there you have it. H's earliest memory that he has expressed. Mom and I have talked many times wondering what will be remembered. I always hope it wasn't the tantrum in Kroger over cookies or the fall off the slide at the park. H remembers cake. He is my son!!! Well I must say that I remember Kim decorating them. I remember her wanting to settle into the corner of my kitchen and I told her "no! you must come to the center so I can see your face while we talk." I remember her not being able to leave until she saw L's face. So I remember weeks of my dear friend here. I remember all the honest talks when I could share my heart and know she would tear up quicker than I would over my woes and speak truth that would take me right to our Lord. I remember the morning we talked over the Trinity and we stood in her driveway with amazement over the majesty of our God. I remember watching Brennan run into the house for the last time in the fish dress and cutting it apart to make it into a blanket very soon. I remember repairing that blanket after a few months of love. I'm so grateful that I could call my dear Kim today and tell her 'hi' and 'love you' and 'we remember you.' Can't wait to see her again. Love to see her in my life all the time because of the impact she made on me. And so glad H remembers her cakes.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Tears of great joy here! How well I remember all those as well, Katharine. As well as never even thinking about how Aisley was doing because I knew she was with you while little Bren was in surgery. And coming home to butterflies floating above her bed so she would have something else to think of as you knew she was so scared.

I remember that talk about the Trinity because it shapes so much of how I see them unified in purpose...and in love for us as such amazing power is alive in us! And that same power has made us alive together with Him...sisters in truth as well as in affection.

I count it such a privilege to be wrapped into sweet memories...may there, Lord willing, be many more to be enjoyed together. Love you.