Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Next time, I'll eat the cookie myself

One day I think H will be amused- and I hope shocked- at how he acted today... one day I hope I will be too, for that reason, I write...
I had lunch today with Susanne and Darla with our 3 youngest children while our 4 older children were in a last day of school. I thought it would be good to have a "quiet"-er lunch before we had all children all the time. We had a great time and headed next door for cookies to share with all the kids. L ate her cookie while waiting for H. I knew if I gave H his when he popped into the car, L would want another, I wasn't in the mood for that. Soooo, H wanted to know why I didn't get him a cupcake. He really wanted a cupcake. I told him we were having cupcakes in 2 days for Ek's graduation and he was getting a special one. He didn't want it in 2 days, he wanted it now. Why didn't I get him a cupcake? Why didn't I bring it in the car? This was not a calm, quiet conversation. There was loud crying and maybe even some yelling involved, from him, not me. We are working so hard on his controlling of his emotions and I must say, he calmed down in a reasonable amount of time. I realize the goal is to not start the fit, but we are making progress. So he calms down, L goes to bed, H gets his cookie, I somehow didn't allow him to see that the cookie came from the car. The phone rings. I get out things for H's lunch. I was trying quickly to get off the phone and abruptly got off when H requested a treat. I told him the cookie was the treat. His reply is priceless, "Nooo, the cookie was my lunch, now I want a treat." Oh H, maybe in Heaven cookies will be considered lunch. He is mine. I know it. This is all from me. So the conclusion was more crying, no lunch, a long book and a nap. No, not for me, for him. sigh. I hope one day it's funny. And I hope one day we will be shocked.

No comments: