Thursday, April 23, 2009

Making lemonade from lemons

Recently I wrote about embracing seasons that God brings to our lives. He reminded me of that today. H had a bad day yesterday. It was capped off by throwing a full shovel of dirt on Ben P. at FUMC on the playground. It doesn't sound that bad if you didn't see Ben, he was covered in dirt it was all over his face and his clothes, oh and screaming. I was pretty upset with H. I marched him straight to the car and gave him a spanking. I tried to talk with him all the way home about what a bad choice that was. Finally when he wasn't crying I asked him why he did it. "Because we didn't want him to play with us." Oh H. That was even worse than the offense! J remembered, when I told him what H had said, that that is what H has heard a lot of this year on the playground. So enter new season, now H is bigger than someone. How will he handle this? How will he respond? So a new training season began yesterday. Well not really new, just new emphasis on old lessons. I encouraged him to find Ben on the playground today and play with him, but they don't play at the same time. From H and my dialog today, I think he may have learned a thing or two from his bad choice. I know I'm not done, I envision this lesson to be a theme for a long time, but a good one. Love everyone. Be kind to everyone. Go out of your way to be kind to those who nobody else will be kind too. I told H today that if just our family was kind to all kinds of people that the world would be a better place. hopefully.


UPDATE: Today we rode with Susanne and kids to the strawberry farm. Not 5 minutes after we got there, I spotted H coming out of a playhouse holding Ben's hand. whew. He really was kind to him all day. I was trying to encourage him by telling J later in the day and H said, "Yeah, there was no sand there." Oh, H.

No comments: