Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kindness

The other day I did a very funny thing... Monday morning I thought I would order Ek a quick bathing suit that she wanted and Daddy approved of, I mean that is a combo to take home! So, I was trying very quickly to get it ordered before school. Oh! the reason for the quick order-- the beach this weekend! Well the bathing suit was sold out, along with my 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th choice. I mean really, why send a catalog! We hurried out the door, took Ek to school and went to Wal-mart. I intended to get as much as I could to get us through the week and the trip. From flip flops for H, to sunscreen, to bug bite Benadryl, to juice boxes, I mean I got it all. My buggie was bursting with children and stuff. So I go to check out. There are no checkouts except express, I mean really. It takes forever not to mention all the people behind you think you can't read. I even asked before I started, 'No honey, I'll take you here.' gee-thanks. We are 2/3 of the way done, maybe even 4/5ths when I reach down to my purse. Yep, nod, nod. My wallet is beside the computer. pause for gasp. I put my head down. "Miss Sandra, I don't have my wallet." "So you mean you can't pay for all this." "No, ma'am." pause. "Do you want me to finish checking you out and let you go home and get it?" My head pops up, "Really! you can do that?" "Sure, just push your buggie right over there." "Oh thank you Miss Sandra, really, thank you!" Quick exit, no eye contact with the people behind. A moment of perspective, I've got all my children! H on the way to the car, "Where is our buggie mommy? Are they bringing it to our car? Does Miss Sandra have a car? Is she going to drive the groceries to our house?" Love it. I race home. Into the house. Grab my wallet. Back to Wal-mart. Unbuckle. Carry in. On the way in H, "Mommy, do you have your wallet?" "Got it bud, got it." Where was this question an hour ago?! She is still there and my buggie is too. She grabs my ticket. Rings it up. I pay while expressing how terribly kind she is. "That's ok honey, we all have these days, no body is perfect." Well Jesus was and I have a feeling that is where her compassion came from. I wish I had said so. But I pray for her, that she does know him and continues to be kind for him. I hope I can be too. And I hope next time I'll remember my wallet. Oh wait! I have that chance today. I forgot contact solution.

No comments: