Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sweet time

We had an amazingly sweet time with Ek tonight. Sometimes on Sunday instead of reading a Bible story we allow the kids to ask a question, a spiritual one. So here's what happened:

Ek: So I know that Jesus died on a cross for our sins, but why do we sin?
Whoa a deep one! Pause while we put tired L to bed so we can hear each other.
OK back,
J: Do you remember the story of Adam and Eve? How Eve took the apple and ate it when God had told her not to, she disobeyed and since then we all sin and cannot please God.
K: God has made us and he loves us and because he made us, he knows what is best for us. If we trust him then we will obey him and know that is always what is best for us.
Ek is appeased with no further questions.
Then I ask them how I can pray for them this week before we pray.
Ek: You can pray for my cough.
We suggest to H that we pray that he will obey.
Ek: Oh, you can pray for me too to be kind.
K: Do you know how you can be kind? When we ask Jesus to forgive us of our sins, and tell him that we want to follow him and obey him, then Jesus comes and lives in our hearts. We call him also the Holy Spirit when he lives in our heart. The Holy Spirit makes fruit that comes out like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. The Holy Spirit helps us to be kind.
Ek: Well I thought I had Jesus living in my heart, but I don't.
J: Do you want Jesus to come and live in your heart?
Ek: Yes.
J: Do you trust that Jesus died on a cross for your sins and you want to live your life for him?
Ek: Yes.
J: Do you want to pray and ask Jesus to come into your heart or do you want me to help you?
Ek: I will pray, "Dear Jesus, will you please come and live in my heart? Amen"

We are so thankful that God continues to teach Ek from his Word and gives us time with her to speak of Him. We are so thankful for those he has put around us to help us teach her as well. I just want to continue to see her grow and I know he has great plans for her life. I am just thankful that I get to be her mother to watch her life unfold. She is a great girl.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus...just to take Him at His Word! How wonderful that God is pulling desire for Him from her heart. How sweet that we can know it and praise Him for it a thousand miles away! Can't wait to wrap our arms around you...