Sunday, February 22, 2009

All aboard the Train

Several months ago mom called to say my former youth pastor was going to be speaking to a retreat of women from her church at Lake Oconee. "I'd love to go mom, that sounds great, let me check my calendar!" "Great! I'll sign you up tomorrow when I'm at the church." I love my mom. So it was Friday through Saturday. One of the organisers said they prayed that God would meet us where we were and boy did He! I just have felt a bit overwhelmed and lost lately in how to handle several issues with my H. Obeying quickly, Asking without whining and Pitching Fits. A friend of mine has teenagers and says to me way too often, "Big kids big problems, small kids small problems." I tend to disagree at this point. If I don't help H now, how will he look at 15 with these issues. shudder. Ok, back to the point. Mom and I were talking about it Friday night after the meeting. By the way the focus of the retreat was prayer. Mom reminded me that there is a difference between discipline and training. Which of course reminds me of the Proverb, "Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are older they will not depart from it." That statement coming from my mom open the floodgates for God to deal with me and teach me for the rest of the weekend. I felt like He completely changed my perspective on my role and H. H is not supposed to have it all together! He is 3! My role in his life is to teach him. Obviously this is not new information. LOL But, God spoke his word fresh with new life from the Living Word this weekend. I am ready now to help H, to train him to walk through this life well. To serve God and H in being his leader who disciplines but much more, to teach. And to look to Jesus who didn't expect his disciples, or us for the matter, to have it all together. But to take time, to love well, to pray, to serve, to teach and to lead by example. I really feel this is a big turning point in my life as mother. God took a verse that I have heard many times, and spoke it new into my heart. I am so grateful and can't wait to see what my daily life looks like now, as I submit to the Father, leaving my expectations on the floor where I pray in the morning, rising in the power of the Spirit to walk out in the fruit of the spirit to love my kids well with the goal of training them well to walk with Jesus too. Oh I am so grateful! So grateful to mom for signing me up. For those who prayed that prayer. And for God revealing His Word to me and teaching me!

No comments: