Friday, February 6, 2009

Reactions

Today I had Cat, Susanne and Darla and their kids (all 8 of them) over to celebrate Cat's birthday. After we ate lunch, the kids were jumping on the trampoline when 2 boys came to report that H's nose had collided with another child's head and was bleeding. I calmly grabbed some Kleenex and found him standing on the trampoline crying with blood dripping past his chin (don't worry, there is not a picture). I grabbed him off the trampoline and carried him to the house and while holding him against my chest got the bleeding stopped. Darla commented a bit later how calm I stayed. I credited it to my nursing training in the emergency room, burn unit and pediatric intensive care unit; those places while help get you over blood and emergencies. I remember how jumpy I was when I first started working and over time you just learn to react with vision to take care of the problem. H quickly calmed down, was upset by his stained shirt, but after we changed him was back to playing. At dinner, I prompted H to tell J what happened. "Daddy, I was on the trampoline and I bumped into Will Brown and I was bleeding!" J: "At a boy H!" and gives him a high five. So where does J accredit that response? I'm not sure.

No comments: