Friday, February 19, 2010

Sweet background music

I have been up late tonight fixing ice cream sundays and painting toe nails. Ek has her first ever friend over to spend the night. We went out to supper with the G's and then had them over for a bit for ice cream, then C stayed to spend the night. The kids played a very long game of hide and seek. Ek was the absolute last to be found. She was hiding under the couch in the breakfast room where we were sitting. How fun to hear those sweet girls giggling now as I type. May they always encourage and build one another up, sharpen each other to live life full for Jesus.

Ek has had a 'big day.' She is a bit difficult to wake up in the morning, so many mornings, I try to think of a little motivation to get her up. I usually begin with, 'you have a big day today...' Some days in desperation I try something like, "Its a big day today honey, you have PE!" Well today she was trying to wake up and she beat me to it. "I have a big day today," she said. "You do?" I replied. She was quite excited to look after the class "pet" today. Her teacher got one of those dinosaurs that expand in water and they had been watching it for several days. They then got to each write their name on a slip of paper, along with what they though it's name should be. Well, it was as if her dream had come true! Her name was chosen! So her proposed name was now official and she got to care for him for the first day. He got to sit on her desk all day and she got to take him to computer. She was quite excited about her day with "Dino." She said her friends were quite excited to, "C was cheering for me, and C!" Well, on the way to school, I just could not pass on the opportunity to meet this new pet. H and L were not about to miss out, so we all walked ourselves in and got a picture of Ek with the class pet. What a great way to start the day.
I couldn't help but travel on down to H's class and see his sweet teacher. After catching up on all the hilarity of the class, I bribed L with a lollipop to get her to come along with me. We stopped by the library to see our sweet girl on the bulletin board for achieving her reading goal and beamed with pride for a moment. So proud of how hard she is working and so pleased to see her hard work produce such wonderful results. Please see her super achieving sweet face in the bottom right corner.


Speaking of waking slow... my sweet dad has called me princess all my life. I seldom hear him call me by my name and actually I like it quite much. I really makes me feel quite princess-ish. I can't help but giggle that my Ek may not be a true princess as told in the Princess and the Pea. You know the story where the true princess cannot sleep with a pea under her mattress. Ek collects things under her pillow. I know that could not sound stranger. She has a bedside table with a large drawer and the top has a vast assortment of treasures. Yet, it must now have quite enough room because this is commonly what I find when I look under her pillow. And believe me when you look at this picture that all of this was hidden under her pillow. A collection of books, a snowman, a napkin, a towel, a bow and a ribbon and a bubble gun. I was washing her sheets today and just could resist a picture before I pushed it all away. Or is she a princess and that is why she is slow to wake up? hmmmm. Maybe I did pass on some princess-ness. I should do some further research on this...

No comments: