Thursday, September 18, 2008

The ups and downs of friends

What a day...

This morning Emma Kate reported that she was upset because friends at school were calling her 'Cake.' I know, go ahead and giggle. Of all the names to be called, that one is relatively not bad at all, but to her, it was upsetting. I tried to show compassion. I asked who would call her such a thing. "Chiro" she replied. Well last week when I had lunch with EK, Cullen was calling "Chiro" Cheerio. And really it is just one syllable different. I told Ek that probably Chiro was just tired of having his name picked on and Cake wasn't so bad, but I was sorry that it made her sad. Well Mopsey put a whole different spin on the situation. Ek, Mopsey's name is Cookie! We went on to think of nicknames for the rest of us, Lauren- Lollipop, Pops- Popscicle, Daddy- Donut, Mommy- Frige (Henry didn't quite get the game, that was his input). I told Ek next time he called her EmmaCake to tell him she preferred Cupcake, she liked those better. The conversation ended with smile and giggles.

Henry got in the car from school saying the other Jack (Jack Polhill's friend Jack Pruitt and also his teacher's son) said that he couldn't play with he and Jack. Oh no I thought, the other Jack must not understand Henry is a better friend to Jack than he is! Henry's feelings were hurt, he did not play with them. He went onto play with a boy on the pirate ship. So of course he was fine. I encouraged Henry to be kind and share and tell those boys they could all play together. Henry's reply: "Mommy, I'll just tell the other Jack we can all be friends." Oh Henry, what a great idea.


Lastly, Ek's new friend Leah came over to play after school today for about an hour. They have really been looking forward to today. Leah is new to Trinity this year, and they are in the same class. Ek has commented several time that 'she is so sweet, mommy, just so sweet.' Of course I wanted to get to know her so we were happy to have her over. They played dress up, kitchen and babies. Leah was very kind to Henry and Lauren. All in all I think they had a great time. Ek was a bit upset tonight to discover that Leah had not helped her clean up any, but that was because I did not ask her to. I asked Ek when Leah was gone what her favorite thing about Leah was and she answered, 'her laugh.' That is a nice thing to like about someone.


1 comment:

Kim said...

I love the pictures!!!

Love Brennan