Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Help me Lord have your compassion

Studying the book of Jonah over the last few weeks has been so great. Discussing it on Tuesday mornings has been so great too. It has been a while since I have been a part of a group that has just focused on the Word of God soley and come together for discussion of only that passage. It has been a powerful time. I walked away from Jonah with a desire to have a compassion for the people God sees. I want to be tender to His call to the people He has choosen. This thought will shake you up a bit. Jonah did not want to go to Ninevah. Was it because he didn't like them like we don't like rival sports fans (sigh, may I get over that today forever!) or was he afraid of them, they were brutal warriors or was it because they had killed people Jonah had loved? Whatever the reason, dying was better than seeing repentance. And for God to call Jonah, he must have not been so unwilling to follow God's will in other callings. So here I am, asking God to show me those predjuices, and I confess always a little nervous to see who that who may be.

I was so pleased this summer when Henry told me that Cathy could come to our new church. She is a African-American lady that fixed our lunches at the Country Club. Henry, we guess, had noticed in our new chruch that there were several other African-Americans there. Oh God, help my children to always see others as welcomed in God's kingdom! and help me to always model that before them.

No comments: