Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hungry?

We are Daniel Fasting again. Our church begins every new year this way. It has proven the last 2 years to be a time to live with purpose and intention in our lives. I'm excited as I have been in years past to live with a few weeks of expectancy and eagerness to hear new revelation. And would you believe that Monday morning, the first morning of the fast, began with reading
"But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.'" Matthew 4:4
Well that is a good way to start a fast. I mean really. And although I have heard and read that verse countless times, as I was writing a summary of it, it was all new. I love it when that happens. And I confess I never really got this verse, I knew it meant we needed God's word in our daily life, but past that, I just didn't have much. Then Monday out came: We were not just created by God for our physical lives that is satisfied and sustained by food, but we were also created for a spiritual life that is not satisfied and sustained by physical food. So real life, a life that is all that it is meant to be, longs for more than physical bread but also for the bread of life, the word of God.
We also need the bread we eat in remembrance of the death of our Savior, a remembrance of His broken body.
And while I'm at it we also need the living water, the presence of Jesus, that satisfies our thirst of being known and understood.
And while I'm at it, it will be quite sweet to also stand alongside the water that flows from the throne of God and eat from the fruit that grows there where all our diseases will be healed.
So yes, I really need bread to live, but I also need the nourishment that comes from revelation of His words to live.

And many thanks to whichever child took this picture of me eating a hot dog for while standing, real nutritious, seems like I went upstairs to get PJs while I was eating it.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Love it...and hysterical. Love you, sister.