Sunday, March 14, 2010

As promised,


Ok, so here's the story. Ek's 'best' friend C, all of the sudden, decided she was ready to have her ears pierced for her birthday, which was yesterday. C's mom had always said when she was ready, it would be the time for it. I had no theory, I was 10, but didn't quite know when the best time would be for my girls. We were in the car several weeks ago and the girls were just talking talking all about it. Full of wonder over what it would feel like and just the whole experience. Ek never really said anything about her feelings over her own little ears. I just assumed she was not quite ready and that was fine with me. I even told C's mom that Ek must not be ready she hadn't said anything about wanting her ears done. C wanted Ek to come with her to have her ears done so she could hold her hand. Great, I thought, then maybe we will see if Ek would want her ears done. Then one day while riding in the car, Ek said she couldn't wait for C's birthday. Why? I asked, knowing full well. Then she said, "I just don't know if maybe I should go first so I can tell C what it feels like." excuse me? "Yes mom, I'm going to have mine pierced too." what? deep sigh. C's dad said, "That Ek, she's all action and no talk!" Let this be a lesson to me! So J and I talked about it and decided to let her go ahead and have it done. I told Ek that she could have it done that this was something I could say 'yes' to, but there will be times when she wants things her friends want that I will need to say 'no' to and that she needed to trust me that day too. I told her for instance elementary boyfriends-- 'no.' hahahah but really 'no.'
So here is how it all went down--- The day before C's birthday, Friday afternoon, we meet at the pediatrician's office for nurse Rebecca to medically pierce them. C's mom and I had gone by earlier to pick the earrings to leave the girl out of that loop (pun intended). Next door neighbor B went along with us and a hold host of boys came along with C.
C went first and was so brave, didn't cry a tear but looked quite distraught over the pain. She later told her mom that she was quite scared on the but didn't want anyone to see on the outside.
Ek, not so much. She was terrified and could not hold it in.
She said she wanted to change her mind, but I knew she really wanted it done especially seeing C's ears sparkling. I knew if we walked out, she would regret it. So. I made her go ahead and do it. Like hold apart her shoulder and ear. And thought, why I am doing this? And thought, oh yeah, for my sweet girl who is having a moment of hesitation over what she really wants. So we did it. There were tears but never anger (at me). And by the time we made it to the front door, we began to see a sweet-I-did-it smile. The are beautiful and she is really glad its over with.

No comments: