Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Saturday Ride

Amazing. Saturday we took a ferry ride to Schoodic Island. Our bikes were driven over on top of the van. We had a bit of discussion over the pronunciation of the island and, for the record, Mike was right, Tara and I were wrong. We hopped on our bikes and took off. I stuffed my camera in my little bike pouch because I could not stand another day of not having any pictures.

We took some roads around the islands that first took us through a neighborhood that had houses that looked like presidents would be vacationing there. The architecture is so different. Beautiful roof lines with such colorful siding. Gardens filled with tall flowers in all colors. Soft green lawns. Just stunning. We went back through town and over to the Islands portion of Acadia National Forest. The one way road seemed to just hug the coastline all the way. We would see the most gorgeous view of huge rocks and deep blue water with lobster buoys scattered throughout. We would hop off our bikes, take a few pictures and get back on ready to go and 500 feet later want to stop again! We tried to resist a few views now and then just to make a bit of progress, but it was not easy. There were not many people around and we enjoyed having this amazing road to enjoy without crowds. We circled the park and cruised into the delegated deli for lunch. A few others were there and the cooks were quite overwhelmed by out huge crowd of 15. :) Quiet island for sure. J got a hambuger and I got a turkey club. It took a bit, but we enjoyed sitting on such a gorgeous afternoon and enjoying the view of the homes and the water. After lunch, J and I set out to finish the days ride. We had one hour before the ferry left and 18 miles, which is not crazy on a road we know well, but I was a bit apprehesive to try. But to be with J, I concented and we took off. Our first stop was a tiny lobstering community. The buoys remeinded me of sprinkles, there were so many buoys in the water. The temperature dropped probably 10 degrees from the chilly sea breeze over the North Atlantic. We high tailed back and took a neighborhoodish road called Paul Bunyon in a big loop and hen back to town past our deli and then a 5 mile that felt like all up hill to arrive 10 minutes after 3:00. Thankfully our back up plan, the van was there and we rode back to Bar Harbor via roads, which was not disappointing, it was nice to talk to our guides and see some beautiful farms along the way.


We got back to the hotel and quickly cleaned up and left to go to a local, off the beaten path seafood place. We were presented with our bright red lobster, corn on the cob and coleslaw. Oh and butter. J ate one claw and requested some fried shrimp. I ate my way through but it was not the best thing I ever ate. Not that it wasn’t fresh but it was just a bit too much. Am I high maintenance if I request that my food be a bit more prepared before I eat it, in other words, I don’t like to see my meat’s eyes. The location was wonderful, we were right at a marina with the sun setting, gorgeous. And the most amazing thing came yet, blueberry pie a al mode. oh happy place. So delicious. I actually had 3 pieces of blueberry pie from 3 restaurants in 4 nights and this one got my blue ribbon. It was perfect. Tons of blueberries, perfect crust. oh happy place. Delightful day.

Acadia National Park on Schoodic Island
Mike offering a helping hand
John riding down a hill
just off the ferry
the tiny ferry was ours

enjoying the ocean view

No comments: